[lbo-talk] Re: Dull, dull, dull (was ...)

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Tue Aug 5 02:45:06 PDT 2003

At 12:26 AM 8/5/03 -0500, Shane Taylor scribbled:

>Let's go back to Carrol's earlier claim that we're just speaking out
>of
>personal prejudices. So what? That's part of the point: crappy style
>is
>an excellent trigger for the prejudices of your audience, in no small
>part because you are *not* paying attention to them in the first
>place.
>It's like asking for more consideration for yourself than you're
>willing
>to give them.
>
>-- Shane

There's a rhetorician on pulp culture, George Trail, who used to say that artists despise their audience. Having lived with and worked with artists, I have to agree.

The problem with not thinking _reflectively_ about our own prejudices is that the discourse _naturalizes_ those prejudices and reproduces systems of privilege that buttress class exploitation and oppression.

Kelley