attending to audiences (was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Dull, dull, dull (was ...))

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Aug 5 10:10:04 PDT 2003

kelley wrote:
> There's a rhetorician on pulp culture, George Trail,
> who used to say that artists despise their audience.
> Having lived with and worked with artists, I have to
> agree.
>
> The problem with not thinking _reflectively_ about
> our own prejudices is that the discourse _naturalizes_
> those prejudices and reproduces systems of privilege
> that buttress class exploitation and oppression.

I think what George Trail says is certainly true of most reality TV shows. Ditto talk head duels. But perhaps this is more a matter of etiquette than empathy. My point: if we ignore our style, the public will ignore our substance.

Besides, you're an example of how lefty discourse can be anything dull.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!