[lbo-talk] Afghan All-girl band made in a day

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Aug 5 08:56:20 PDT 2003

The Hindu

Monday, Aug 04, 2003

All-girl band made in a day

Berlin: It began in Kabul as a joke, but with the help of a few German musicians Afghanistan's all-girl rock group ``Burqa Band'' was formed in the space of a day and has hit the airwaves and clubs in Germany. All that remains of the ephemeral alliance of the Burqa and rock is an amateur video clip and a song remixed by Berlin DJ Barbara Morgenstern which has become a modest summer-time favourite. The female trio appears on screen in a makeshift studio in Kabul; bound by their robes they nevertheless let it all hang out on the drums, electric bass and microphone. ``You give me all your love, you give me all your kisses, and then you touch my burqa, and don't know who it is...'' the lead singer moans in halting English. ``Burqa, burqa bluuueee'' they sing, in ironic lyrics that still manage to tell the tale of how Afghan women were oppressed by the former Taliban regime. It's a surprising image in a city where cultural events were outlawed and dance steps can be made out under the gyrating robes, moves that would have meant certain death a few years ago. — AFP

Copyright © 2003, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu