[lbo-talk] Buggery on Board (was Re: Dull, dull . . .)

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed Aug 6 12:23:01 PDT 2003

PC wrote:

> I think this is real problem with Moore; he's trying
> to do both 'serious journalism' and comedy, and it
> just doesn't work. Some things are just not funny;
> personally I think Heston getting AD is cosmic
> karmic balance at work, but exploiting that illness
> for easy points is just cruel.

Moore accomplished something with that movie I didn't believe possible. He made me feel sorry for Charlton Heston. Granted, the cartoon history of America in Bowling for Columbine was great. And the interview with Nichols brother was wonderfully ludicrous (maybe my favorite part). But the whole finally section of the film was embarrassing.

Moore can do better. One the classics from the Awful Truth was the Sodomy Mobile. Moore took a pink Winnebago, loaded it with some flamboyant gay men, and chased Rev. Fred Phelps across the US, breaking sodomy laws as they went. It was gorgeous.

I agree with budge completely on the fact checking issue. But there's something else. Notice how Moore has become a focus of this thread by not Jon Stewart. Stewart's funny and politically astute. But he doesn't incite the ire, which is often justified, that Moore does. What's the difference?

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!