[lbo-talk] Buggery on Board (was Re: Dull, dull . . .)

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Aug 6 12:41:44 PDT 2003

Shane Taylor wrote:

>I agree with budge completely on the fact checking issue. But there's
>something else. Notice how Moore has become a focus of this thread by
>not Jon Stewart. Stewart's funny and politically astute. But he doesn't
>incite the ire, which is often justified, that Moore does. What's the
>difference?

That's easy. Moore's clearly a man of the Left, so the right-wing bullshit machine has to crank itself up and ferret out every elision-of-fact in his works. Jon Stewart isn't working on behalf of a particular ideology. He's out for laughs, and he'll slam liberals and leftists as often as he does Bush and Co.

This isn't to say he's a middle-of-the-road hack with toothless gags. Stewart and crew are damn good. The only fake-news I've seen that beats the _Daily Show_ is Chris Morris's work, like _Brass Eye_ and _The Day Today_.