[lbo-talk] the matrix

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Aug 8 06:02:51 PDT 2003

Hi,

This type of data analysis software has been around for years in the business and academic world. I tested a package from Lotus when I was a Computer/Technology columnist in the 1980s. What is new is that more data is easily available online, so that running a search can reach more data more quickly than before. The conspiracy freaks rant about Promis software as if it was unique. (just Google it for examples) It was not. I mentioned it in an article in the Columbia Journalism Review in 1993 as part of the conspiracy mania that can grip reporting on intelligence abuse.

http://www.cjr.org/year/93/3/spooky.asp

The threat to civil liberties is real. The conspiranoia is a waste of time.

Chip Berlet