[lbo-talk] Penile Invasions (was: Dull)

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 8 09:42:13 PDT 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:32:19 -0400, Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 06:43 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
>> Well refusal _ever_ to have sexual intercourse is
>> probably grounds for divorce in every state. But I
>> don't think any jurisdiction or the common law ever
>> created a legal duty to give in to the husband's
>> demands whenever. Such a duty would of course be
>> unenforceable. What would you do, sue?
>
> No, probably the "aggrieved" husband would beat her up, then rape her.

Hm, let's see. Husband wants some tender lovin' time with the women he's married, and she refuses. What can he do? What _can_ he _do?_

My first guess would be "masturbate." Second guess would be more complex-- going out to a porno movie, or even just getting out of the house to avoid the bad vibes and ill will.

Third guess would happen a day or so later, when our disappointed husband is out socially, and maybe after a drink or two, he opens up to a female friend about his confusion-- why won't the woman he loves, who's consented to marry him, suddenly refuse to have sex with him? Good chance his next option, Sleeping with Someone Else, and Maybe Finding a Better relationship, is likely to happen.

Fourth guess'd be paying for it. Squalid, yes, and not without some self- loathing, but it's an option.

Now, let's ask ourselves a simple question. All of the above are reasonable, likely, and non-violent. The fact that men turn to them is indicated by the size of the porn industry (1 and 2), the popularity of bars (2 and 3), and the continuing enthusiasm for hookers among many men (4). So, why does Jon feel compelled to leap to violence and rape as the most likely results?