[lbo-talk] Re: Patriotism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 21:54:13 PDT 2003

Joanna asks:

What are you patriotic about? Why is it specific to
> the U.S.?

These things are all specific to the US:

I'm patriotic about the Bill of Rights and the 13th, 14th, 15th and 19th Amendments, about Tom Paine, and Frederick Douglass, and Susan B. Anthony, and Abraham Lincolna nd the Gettysburg Address, Eugene Debs and WEB DuBois and Elizabeth Gurley Flynn; I'm patriotic about the miners and unionists who organized the coal fields in Harlan County and the Flint Sit-Down Strikers, I'm patriotic about Cesar Chavez and UFW and FLOC; I'm patriotic about Martin Luther King, Jr and Malcolm X and Rosa Parks; I'm patriotic about the SDS and the Vietnam Antiwar Movement and Daniel Ellsberg and Noam Chomsky and Angela Davis and; I'm patriotic about the Central AMerica Solidarioty movement, the Nuclear Freeze, and the mobilization against the Iraq War;

I'm patriotic about WC Handy and Louis ARmstrong and Bessie Smith and Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holiday, about Duke Ellington and Charlie Parker and John Coltrane; I am patriotic about Cole Porter and Rogers & Hart and the Gerswins and Yip Harburg and Harold Arlen; I'm patriotic about Woody Guthrie and John Hammond and Alan Lomax and the Weavers' I'm patriotic about Elvis and Chuck Berry and Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix; I'm patriotic about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers and John Ford and Howard Hawks and film noir; I'm patriotic about Charles Ives and Aaron Copeland and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra;

I'm patriotic about Charles Saunders Pierce and William James and John Dewey and WVO Quine and John Rawls (I was a philosopher after all); I'm patriotic about Melville and Hawthorne and Twain; I'm patriotic about Zora Neal Hurston and James Weldon Johnson and Contee Cullen and Langston Hughes; I'm patriotic about William Faulker and Flanner O'Connor and Thomas Pynchon;

I'm patriotic about Justices John Marshall and Joseph Story, and Justice Lemuel Shaw of the Mass. Supreme Judicial Court, and Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr and Judge Learned Hand, about Justice Black and Brennan and Warren; I'm patriotic about Clarence Darrow and Maurice Sugar (a great labor lawyer) and the National Lawyers Guild and the ACLU, I'm patriotic about Arthur Kinoy and William Kunstler and Leonard Boudin and Michael Tigar -- I'm a lawyer after all

I'm patriotic about the damn Cubbies, wait till next year

This land is my land This land is your land This land belongs to you and me

Joanna asks:

> What happens to your "patriotism" when the U.S. acts
> criminally in the world and its population supports
> these criminal acts?
>
> Joanna

My country -- right its wrongs!

jks