[lbo-talk] Penile invasions

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Aug 11 14:48:01 PDT 2003

From: lweiger at umich.edu

Charles Brown wrote:

> but there's another Evolutionary Psychologist "report" just out on how
every
> kind of man wants sex more than any kind of woman, worldwide,
> crossculturally, universally.

I doubt anyone would say that, in the same way I wouldn't expect to find someone declaring that every man is taller than very woman.

> I'm not endorsing the Ev Psych interpretation...

Not to be rude, but why the fuck not? Sure, not every interpretation that bears the "Ev Psych" stamp is correct (some, such as ev psych "explanations" of the adaptive value of homosexuality, are even prima facie ludicrous), but it seems odd to accept the thesis that natural and sexual selection influence animal behavior (and I presume nearly everyone here does in fact accept that thesis) but not human behavior. ^^^^^^^ CB: I should let you know first that I am very much an exception to the generalization that lefts are humorless. I tell lots of jokes. The above is partly "funny". The first part exaggerates for humor about what the Ev Psychs said on this which was no doubt something like "most men... most women". Then there's some humor in my not wanting to touch the Ev Psychs with a ten foot pole. I'll explain that more if you want, but of course explaining jokes is sort of like dissecting a frog - takes some of the life out of them. Actually, if you look in the archives I am one of the leading acceptors here that there is a complex dialectic of the natural and the cultural in human sexuality, that it's not utterly socially constructed. But from what I know of the Ev Psychs, they tend too strongly to the natural selection side. It is sort of fun-funny how they ruffle the feathers of we lefts-socio-historicalists, though. They're something like Randites from another angle in that regard. What do you find of interest in Evolutionary Psychology ?