[lbo-talk] more outsourcing

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 16:11:22 PDT 2003

Doug wrote (quoting Bloomberg story):

``The thinking is basically, `Why pay London salaries and incur London costs for number-crunching when you can do it elsewhere at more competitive rates?''' said Guy Davies, managing director at recruitment firm Hogarth Davies Lloyd in London.

The apparently dizzying speed (if the biz press stories are to be believed) at which multinationals are relocating 'knowledge worker' gigs of all types to India and other locales, leaving a growing number of their 'home country' professionals in the dust is a thing to behold.

Although the pressure wave from this explosion will, sooner or later, surely knock me flat on my ass, like those shanties built in Los Alamos decades ago subjected to nuclear tests, I must admit to being fascinated by the light and heat of the process.

I've tried to take all this as an opportunity to discuss Capital's almost completely stateless, alliegance-free mode of planetary operation with my friends and colleagues.

I find that many people I know and encounter, while suspicious of corporate motives in a vague sort of way ('they're all just greedy') still believe that the American system, such as it is, will deliver the goods for them (it did in the past) if they only create the right resume look or present themselves confidently and professionally in an interview.

There is not yet, as far as I can see, an understanding of larger global trends.

A tour of blog-land, where unemployed and under-employed people (quite a few prolific bloggers are dot com refugees and other 'downsized' folks - hence the time) bemoan their money troubles on the one hand while loudly praising the Busheviks with the other shows a cultural misunderstanding of cause and effect about this issue.

I think it will take a little longer yet for many Americans to completely understand - not just say to sound cool and cynical - that corporatism and it's government handmaiden cares not one hydrogen atom's worth of matter for them.

And what then? When that day of understanding comes, will the left be ready to offer an alternative? One that will compete attractively with the militia-ism and neo-evil this or that that's certain to rise?

DRM