[lbo-talk] the greens, camejo, recall

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 12 09:18:58 PDT 2003

At 9:11 AM -0500 8/12/03, Carrol Cox wrote:
>The "progressive left" is not running Ariana. Ariana is running
>Ariana. The "progressive left" is not running Camejo. Camejo and/or
>the California Green Party (how large? what are its fundamental
>politics? how much can non-GP leftists influence it?) is running
>Camejo.

I'd be interested in finding out the exact size and social geography of the CA Green membership and the proportion of CA Greens who are active political organizers within and without electoral politics. Statistics concerning these questions is not easy to come by, but what is clear is that CA Greens are the best organized among the Greens in the USA, the level of organization reflected in electoral political results, too: <http://greens.org/elections/>. (In contrast, there is no hope for a left-wing electoral campaign in Ohio in the near future -- the highest elected GP members in Ohio, I think, are my undergrad activist pal Scott Wesseler <http://usgonline.net/elections/senators.asp?ID=30> and Ben Payton who got elected, together with Anna Fecker of Columbus United Students Against Sweatshops on the progressive slate, to the Undergraduate Student Senate at the Ohio State University this year.)

Peter Miguel Camejo (a first generation Venezuelan-American, fluent in Spanish -- a big asset) and the CA Green Party are a mixed bag, but the mix has very promising elements: universal health care, living wages, and workers' rights (especially Latino immigrant workers' rights) -- the three pillars of left-wing politics in California today. CA Green campaign workers will be able to build a foundation for a future of independent left-wing politics if they go door to door first in immigrant working-class communities in particular and then working-class communities in general with the three-point political program.

What Camejo and the CA Green Party need to do is to de-prioritize wonky electoral and legislative process issues (like Instant Runoff Voting and independent nonpartisan audits) with which white Greens tend to become obsessed to the point of political perversion. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>