[lbo-talk] Ralph on the recall

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Aug 12 15:21:50 PDT 2003

>Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>>Interesting how "elect somebody who will be a good governor" is not
>>on the list of things that Nader thinks are worth doing.
>>
>>What a dork.
>
>Governors are about governments, which can't be trusted, since they
>have their own interests, unlike juries, which dissolve upon
>delivering a verdict. Ralph doesn't seem to believe that agents can
>be trusted or that it's possible for principals to discipline them.
>You could call his POV anarchism, but I suspect there are a lot of
>people at George Mason that would agree with him.
>
>Doug

To rely on personal-injury lawsuits as your *only* tool of governing the market seems... absurd... like something that only a narrow-minded and unobservant lawyer could entertain for a second as a desirable mode of social organization.

It leads straight to something one might call right-wing corporate libertarianism...

Brad DeLong