[lbo-talk] service coops (was Servant culture)

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Wed Aug 13 11:27:37 PDT 2003

Though as the explanation in Nickle and Dimed makes pretty clear, the services are potentially more exploitative because the clients' money is not going directly to the worker - the service takes a big fat cut, and workers get peanuts. If you were going to spend the money to have someone clean your house, wouldn't you want to make sure that person, rather than a corporation, got as much of your money as you could afford --with all due qualifications on the word "afford" -- to pay them? The only advantage I can see to the service is it removes the consumer from the uncomfortable position of acting as capitalist boss, but in fact this very comfort is purchased at the worker's expense. LIke Kelley in her many great posts on this topic, I'm obviously not trying to make anyone who does this FEEL bad, just agreeing that it's important to think these things through.