[lbo-talk] service coops (was Servant culture)

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Thu Aug 14 08:14:24 PDT 2003

All very true. Still the maid probably doesn't care that her $25/hour wages, vacation pay, etc. boost her employers' false consciousness - the situation is still preferable to making $6 with the maid service. I'd much rather be Joanna's maid than work for the Merry Maids! In some ways, the Merry Maid situation is just as detrimental to solidarity as the one on one worker-boss relation -- if that's possible -- because it is even more alienating to both parties: the worker cannot negotiate directly with the consumer, indeed she may never even see the consumer face-to-face, explaining that she has 5 children in the DR to feed, etc. Of course, many consumers do use that personal relationship to justify unfair treatment (she doesn't mind, she's part of the family).

That said, agree it is important to think about what situations do create consumer solidarity with workers. This discussion reminds me of the nursing home labor struggles. In a number of situations, Connecticut and elsewhere, patients and their families have sided with workers against the corporations who are screwing everybody involved (providing shitty wages, shitty care) to boost profits. Exactly the logic Kelley's describing. If the families were contracting directly with aides -- as they do sometimes in homecare situations -- their interests would be quite different.

Liza