[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on Ted Honderich

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 11:51:50 PDT 2003

.

> Suicide bombings aren't just a disagreeable tactic
> of resistance to the
> occupation of Gaza and the West Bank. They are not
> the tactic of someone
> seeking a two state or binational single state
> solution. They're a
> violent rejection of Jews having any business living
> anywhere in what was
> once Palestine. They are also acts of collective
> punishment. Hence the
> equation of supporting suicide bombers with
> anti-semitism.

1. You know this how? I could, with as far as I know an equal knowledge base, pronounce, they are expression of desperation and rage by people so oppressed and ground down that they feel that life is not worth living, and who seek to daamge their prerceived oppressors any way they can.

2. Even if you are right about the specufic aims of most suicide bombers, that does not mean that the bombers will not, despute themselves, further the goals you mention rather than their express goals. I think the tactic is wrong even if it has or will further good goals.

jks