[lbo-talk] a third-world grid

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Sat Aug 16 16:46:44 PDT 2003

The most massive power outage in US history may have started with a downed 345,000-volt power line near Cleveland at 3:06 pm on Thursday. This failed power line is one of 50 in a string of "problem" power lines -- for years no less -- that surround Lake Erie...AND is owned and maintained (also regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission) by the country's fourth- or fifth-largest utility: FirstEnergy Corp.

Remember FirstEnergy? They also owned and managed/maintained the Davis-Besse Power Plant that was allowed to have a hole in its head six inches in diameter and be two-tenths on an inch thin before any sort of shutdown. Under the guidance of the NRC the whole region was two-tenths of a inch from nuclear mass destruction.

Btw, Toledo, where I live, was on the western most edge of the blackout but we regained our power in the evening. However, that was not the end of the story here for me anyway: my power surge strip also failed to separate my computer from the national electric grid -- and now it's screwed up. It's all archaic!

Diane