[lbo-talk] Give Up

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Aug 17 07:52:00 PDT 2003

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 09:21 PM, R wrote:

> which 1/2 do you prefer? there are several statistical sampling
> procedures
> we could use. we could start with the lawyer/politicians ....

If this discussion is going to get anywhere, we need to disaggregate (as I believe the economists say) the category "lawyers."

Presumably, lawyers who defend poor clients in criminal cases would be allowed to keep working. (Or do you expect them to defend themselves?) On the other hand, lawyers working to save scumbag multi-zillion-buck corporations a few million will walk the plank. "Lawyer/politicians"? Depends on their politics, I would say.

If you continue this exercise for a while, you will probably come to the conclusion that the lawyers are not responsible for the social evils you are trying to combat -- it's (guess what?) the economic and class structure of the society.

Oh well, one more over-simple strategy bites the dust.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org ________________________________ How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy. -- Nietzsche