[lbo-talk] Re: Alex Cockburn

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 17 13:52:53 PDT 2003

Some scholars (George Mendenhall, Norman Gottwald) have suggested that the origins of ancient Israel lie not in conquest by an outside group but rather in a revolt of the lowest orders in the city-states of Canaan, part of the Egyptian empire, in the 13th century BCE. The word "Hebrew" may come from a word meaning outlaw or bandit. Israel was founded in a social revolution in which the the Hebrews "went out of Egypt," but the exodus may have been more a successful revolution than a migration. (The most complete account is Gottwald, The Tribes of Yahweh, 1979.) --CGE