[lbo-talk] Re: Alex Cockburn

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sun Aug 17 14:19:17 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>if you
> read yer Bible, something I do now and then, you find
> that the Hebrews took the land from the Canaanites by
> fire and sword, massacring the natives down to womena
> nd children. Check out what they did to the
> Amelikites.

Watch out trying to take anything before King Solomon as based in any solid factual history.

Present theories, as far as I understand, hold that it is more likely that the 'Hebrews' were a local Cananite tribe who usurped political control rather than tribes from further East in Iraq as the Abraham story would tell you.

>It's only relevant bow necause some
> Israelis regard taht asa specific authorization to
> commit genocide against the Pals.

We are talking a minority of a minory which would justify under those reasonings...and most of them justify transfer, expulsion, ethnic cleansing, whatever you would like to call it. It definitely involves violence, and human rights abuse, is vile and repulsive, but genocidal? I am not so sure.

> Others don't need a
> Biblical authorization. Sharon, for example, just is a
> blood soaked mass murdering fascist goon. jks

Sharon definitely is a bloodsoaked, etc. goon and again same critique and question as above...