[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on Ted Honderich

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Aug 17 18:20:32 PDT 2003

Fwiw, if anyone has some free time, here are three articles that criticize Israel on some of the strongest grounds -- that it was conceived in ethnic cleansing, and that it is instituting apartheid -- but do it without using racial terminology, and in a style I consider more persuasive.

Archived articles by Ran HaCohen:

Ethnic Cleansing: Past, Present and Future

Ethnic Cleansing: Some Common Reactions

The Apartheid Wall

Just for the record, this is the first guy I've run into who (in the third article) makes exactly the same argument I made a few weeks about the "back wall" part of the separation wall and the walled in bantustans that will result if its carried out. (Except that he does it better than I did.) Everyone else, as far as I can see, including the peace groups and spokesman who are most involved with fighting the separation wall, spend almost all their time talking about the front wall, which I think doesn't make clear the extent to which this is not simply a new intensification of what Israel has been doing all along, but something qualitatively new and more awful.

This back wall thing is still very under-reported story. It shows that not only is the road map not leading to peace -- it's strangling the last bit of life out of the two state solution.

Michael