[lbo-talk] Re: mediations on sixty

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Aug 18 13:06:59 PDT 2003

Are appearances that deceiving? Doug

----------

Sort of. I went to the climbing gym after work on Saturday and was out cycling yesterday, so I was feeling particularly stiff and sore last night. I was playing age for a laugh. There is something funny about being afraid of staying in the same position too long.

At work everybody is falling apart. One guy can't hold a socket wrench too long because of carpal tunnel syndrome, one knee is bad so he can't kneel and his shoulders make snap and crackle sounds you can hear. Another guy is on insulin and he can't kneel either because of a bad knee---he gets its shot with cortisone every few months. They're both younger than me. But luckily the boss is in the worse shape. (Lucky for us, because otherwise he would fire us.) He's on Neurontin (for pain) for a pulled brachial plexus and has a semi-paralyzed left arm--so he is very sympathetic.

A lot of the customers are old and obviously crippled so they come in staggering, hobbling, or rolling. They beach themselves in the shop to be saved by a work force who can barely walk or crawl over to fix their equipment, so we hobble, crackle, and swear around. It's a scream. Meanwhile the women in the billing department are all fighting the computer induced fat wars.

The Imperium collapse isn't limited to the utility infrastructure.

Chuck Grimes