[lbo-talk] Re: Meditations on 60

jbujes at covad.net jbujes at covad.net
Mon Aug 18 15:14:05 PDT 2003

from various commentators:

> At 60? This sounds more like 80. And I've met you Chuck - you don't
> look a day over 50. Are appearances that deceiving?

i just did a 30-mile bike ride with a 62-or-so-year-old colleague. he didn't go fast, but he didn't go slow, neither, and west virginia ain't flat.

-------

My 2 cents: Chuck has the kind of body most thirty-year old men would die for. He rides bikes up and down mountains and he climbs Yosemite for fun. If I am as fit as he is when I am sixty (I am a few months shy of 50), I will be very happy.

But the diff is that after the biking, climbing, swimming, tennis, what-have-you -- as you get older you do feel creakier. No question. I spent all of last week at "family camp," near Yosemite, swimming, playing hours of tennis, doing Yoga, etc. I felt absolutely wonderful and could feel every part of my body. "It's ALIIIIIIVE!!!" I wanted to shout. On the other hand, something is going awfully wrong with my right hip joint and when I stand up after such daring do, I hobble a bit.

But what's the alternative? Becoming a depressed blob of blubber?

Planning to die on the dance floor!

Joanna