[lbo-talk] 69% Indians Against Sending Indian Troops To Iraq

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Aug 18 16:49:19 PDT 2003

Outlookindia.com

Magazine | Jul 21, 2003

69% Are Against Sending Indian Troops To Iraq

The survey was conducted on July 8-9, 2003, in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Calcutta and Hyderabad by Marketing Development Research Associates (MDRA), one of India's leading polling agencies. In all, 316 respondents from sec A (Socio-Economic Class) households were contacted.

Are you aware that the US has requested India to send troops to Iraq?

Yes 91 No 9

Are you aware if India sends troops to Iraq, it will not be under a United Nations mandate?

Yes 64 No 36

Would you be in favour of sending Indian troop to Iraq if the UN were to request the Indian government?

Yes 55 No 37 Can't Say 8

If Indian soldiers get killed in Iraq, whom would you blame?

Indian government 42 American government 33 Indian army 3 Iraqis 3 None 19

Do you think India should accept the US request to send troops to Iraq, even though it is not under the UN flag?

No 69 Yes 23 Can't Say :8

If "NO" why?

Situation in Iraq is chaotic 9 Our soldiers might get killed 31 American invasion was not approved by the UN 51 Others 9

If "YES" why?

It will project India as a major power outside South Asia 17 Not prudent to say no to the US 6 Improves India’s relations with the US 51 Will boost our bids for contracts in Iraq 7 Others 19