[lbo-talk] Intellectuals: The Leo-conservatives -

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 08:05:44 PDT 2003

I was talking about intellectual/academic movements. Marcuse and the Frankfurters are hardly words to conjure with in the street, haven't been for 40 years. They aren't influential with politicians in major parties as far as I know, except maybe the German Greens. I would be surprised if many American politicians had even heard of them. The LPs -- though perhaps not by name -- are still very influential in the social sciences and business, where there ideas go by the name of "scientific method." Of course the Franks have some cachet in cultural studies, but we move(d) in different worlds. I never had much to do with Lit/Cult Studies folks, and I did circulate in philosophy and socisl science worlds. Course now I just do law. jks