[lbo-talk] Intellectuals: The Leo-conservatives -

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 08:23:22 PDT 2003

I studied social science, business and most recently law and cant recall hearing LP mentioned much at all and Strauss even less.

On the other hand, Marcuse et al even come up clearly by name and readings are assigned in critical legal theory courses and survey texts regularly. As for the street, Marcuse sells way more trade paperbacks than Strauss could ever hope to and continues to be reprinted. If you want to include their impact not by name necessarily as you say, it becomes hard to say much at all in any direction. I would imagine that perception depends some on the specific areas and departments with which one deals at the university.

--- andie nachgeborenen >
> I was talking about intellectual/academic movements.
> Marcuse and the Frankfurters are hardly words to
> conjure with in the street, haven't been for 40
> years.The LPs -- though perhaps not by name -- are
still very influential in the social sciences and business, where there ideas go by the name of "scientific method." Of course the Franks have some cachet in cultural studies, but we move(d) in different worlds. I never had much to do with Lit/Cult Studies folks, and I did circulate in