[lbo-talk] Intellectuals: The Leo-conservatives -

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 08:59:15 PDT 2003

At this point, there seems to be little to say, our experiences differ. At my Law School there wasn't a critical legal theory class, but you no doubt went to a tonier school than I. Ohio State is an excellent law school, but very much a "trade" school. It had a legal theory class, but purely mainstream. My experiences at Michigan in grad school (philosophy and political science) were pretty much that I was about the only person I knew in my programs who had read Marcuse, except for one guy in the philosophy dept who had briefly been a Spart. A couple of my professors had probably read him at one point. He aws not assigned in any class that I can recall. When I was teaching at Ohio State, there was another prof who was also a sort of commie, he had read Marcuse too. My friends in biz might have heard of Marcuse, I never asked, but they sure had heard of LP -- not under that description, but just like in Michigan polisci, the LP's main theories of explanation and confirmation were called "scientific method." Your experience is different. I would not be surprised if Marcuse outsold Strauss even today, when Marcuse is no longer hip. Strauss never was hip of course. I would be surprised if the LPs ever sold particularly well, Ayer aside, who was not a German of course. I don't know why we deteriorated into this exercise into one-upsmanship, but I'm stopping it now. It's boring. jks