[lbo-talk] Ehrenreich responds to BDL

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 20 13:32:49 PDT 2003

Gail:
> forego her attention - that is problematic. Of
> course, when you start paying the cleaner as much as
> or more than you make yourself (my situation with
> plumbers' and electricians' hourly rates), it becomes
> a lot closer to a real choice, a truly mutually
> beneficial contract.

The problem is not with what the yuppie pays, but with what the service worker gets. The yuppie may pay around $20/hr (not a bad wage), but the worker who delivers the service will get $6.75/hr. The rest is pocketed by the two-bit entrepreneur (Ehrenreich's term) who owns the cleaning service. The point is, therefore not what the yuppie is willing to pay, but the private entrepreneurship, which on the top of it often receives tax breaks for hiring welfare recipients.

As I repeated on this forum time and again, a clear solution to this problem is organizing service cooperatives that would perform the same service to the same clients, but which would distribute all proceeds among the members-workers. In this context, attacking yuppies is killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

Another point - "yuppie" is social group defined by age (Young), residence (Urban) and type of job (Professional) - and not that much life style. The brie, wine and NPR that you mention seem more like a bigot reaction against urban and European life disguised as a social class criticism. Similar to denouncing Jews for being greedy capitalists.

PS. I know many people who qualify as yuppies. Some of them are pretentious social climbers preoccupied with conspicuous consumption and their social status - but most other are not. I also know people who do not qualify as yuppies (lower middle/working class, perhaps). Some of them are obnoxious, arrogant rednecks and bigots, but others are not. Why we portray the urban professional class by focusing on its most obnoxious specimens, but portray the lower middle/working class by focusing on the least obnoxious ones?

Wojtek