[lbo-talk] Ehrenreich responds to BDL

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 14:17:05 PDT 2003

I wrote:

“A life style is a set of behaviors, and is eminently subject to denunciation, whether it’s living in gated communities, sipping white wine and nibbling Brie, listening to NPR, and shopping Eddie Bauer, or living in trailer parks, guzzling Pabst and gnoshing on Nachos, listening to Lee Greenwood on Clear Channel, and going on Walmart sprees.”

Brian Siano wrote:

“If I have to hear some self-described "leftist" denounce the lifestyles of 'yuppies,' then I reserve the right to vent about "lifestyles" like imitating gansta-rap attitudes, or the self-policing uniformity of urban anarchist dress codes.”

Woj wrote:

“Another point - "yuppie" is social group defined by age (Young), residence (Urban) and type of job (Professional) - and not that much life style. The brie, wine and NPR that you mention seem more like a bigot reaction against urban and European life disguised as a social class criticism.” _______________________

Sorry, I’m going straight for the trivia. I think we all agree that the real issue is the ability of all workers to live a full and decent life, though I still think the intersection of the personal and the economic poses some issues that haven’t really been addressed. Now to the fun stuff.

As a white-wine-sipping, Brie-nibbling NPR-listener (although I thoroughly disapprove of gated communities, and am not really sure what Eddie Bauer sells), I certainly agree that we’re all unique individuals. Actually, I really expected the reaction to be directed at the “guzzling” Pabst and “going on sprees” references, not to mention assigning such behaviors to people who live in trailer parks (man, like they have great housing choices!). Was the Lee Greenwood reference over the top?

-- Gail, who will probably continue using generalizations about people in similar socio-economic circumstances