[lbo-talk] contract/lease law

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 19:12:56 PDT 2003

Again, you really need to talk to a lawyer licensed in your state if you want to get legal advice.

I can tell you in the abstract that "selective enforcement" is not a contract defense that I am familiar with, but waiver is; one might argue, if the contract had not been enforced in other cases that the tenant knew of, and that the landlord might reasonably expect the tenant to have known of, that the landlord had waived the contract's provisions with respect to the tenant. This is pretty dicey, though. I acn't imagine overcharges for windows would help as a matter of law with the carpet, but anything true that makes the other party look bad is helpful.

But at this point the tenant had better talk to a lawyer in his home state, maybe pay him money to tell some lies, like R and John Thornton suggest, preferably before a biased judge. Be sure to intimidate the clerk of court's personnel, like Bill Bartlett suggests, because that always works so well.

Corruptly yours

With utter venality

J. Sleaze Shylock, Esq.