[lbo-talk] Servant culture

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Fri Aug 22 15:58:23 PDT 2003

At 03:40 PM 8/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>>CBS News anchors Dan Rather and John Roberts both need cosmetics applied
>>to their faces to produce whatever it is they both produce.
>
>Advertising is what they produce. At least by the logic of the NIPAs - the
>value of commercial radio & TV is the value of the ads they carry.
>
>Doug

News as advertising by the logic of those who constructed the NIPA in the 1940s. I just saw the provocative film "Bowling for Columbine" last night which explored violence in America and concluded that the only difference between the US and Canada, Germany, Britain, France, Japan, etc., is not the number of guns or our violent war histories, as these other democratic states have or have had, but instead the fear instilled in us by our own media. The film calls it a culture of fear.

Diane

BLOCKED MESSAGE: EventSink_FileBlock Blocked this message.