[lbo-talk] Servant culture

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Aug 22 22:37:14 PDT 2003

>>CBS News anchors Dan Rather and John Roberts both need cosmetics
>>applied to their faces to produce whatever it is they both produce.
>
>Advertising is what they produce. At least by the logic of the NIPAs
>- the value of commercial radio & TV is the value of the ads they
>carry.
>
>Doug

But advertising can have no place in the NIPAs. It is totally an intermediate product, because its only purchasers are producers who include its cost in the price of the final products (only final products count toward GDP) they produce.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)