[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 10:54:27 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Jackson" <cqmv at pdx.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 10:43 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Eubulides wrote:
>
> > Actually that is what you and Carrol indirectly suggest with your
> > assertion that individuality is not an ontological referent. Tell that
> > the biochemists, biologists and other students of the life sciences.
And,
> > of course, nothing you have said is original either; we're all
> > manifestations of 'derived intentionality' exquisitely controlled by
the
> > iron cage of history and bureaucracy so let's just kill ourselves and
get
> > it over with.
>
> One question: why do you think that life without intentionality and
> individuality is worthless? (Hint: you didn't come up with the
> idea by yourself!)
>
> Miles

Hey, I'm just making fun of the "no new thing under the sun" ontology of Woj and Carrol. If we are epistemic-emotive automata the worth/worthless binary is moot, no? And if you answer "not necessarily" then whence the absence of necessity? :-)

Ian