[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Aug 26 09:51:26 PDT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Eubulides wrote:

> Hey, I'm just making fun of the "no new thing under the sun" ontology of
> Woj and Carrol. If we are epistemic-emotive automata the worth/worthless
> binary is moot, no? And if you answer "not necessarily" then whence the
> absence of necessity? :-)
>
> Ian

I don't exactly follow you here (can't quite identify the assumptions you're working with). Things can have value or worth, even if people do not have free will. Yes, for the determinist, people did not choose the worth, but that's irrelevant to the worth of the thing. Why tangle up the worth of the thing with the question of free will? --This seems like a strange imposition of free- market principles onto a philosophical argument (if people freely choose something, then it has worth/exchange value)!

Miles