[lbo-talk] RE: Servant Culture

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Tue Aug 26 02:33:26 PDT 2003

At 09:21 PM 8/25/03 -0700, joanna bujes scribbled:

>So if you can't describe something in classical economic terms, it's
>"private" ...and these realms of private and pbulic you see as
>essentially discontiguous even though there could be no "public"
>without a "private"?

:) this whole thing had me giggling yesterday.

"If I make automobiles, what I need you to do is buy automobiles. What you do with those automobiles is your own business."

heeee hoooooo. imagine what people might have done with cars other than drive them and what the world would be like had they been used for yard art, only ever for summer Sunday drives to a watering hole (stowing it for winter), spare bedrooms, to fuel a Sunday hobby in the art of dismantling and rebuilding machines.

it's not clear how selling baby bottles under the logic of a market economy doesn't also transgress the "distinction between public and private life". that anyone makes them in the first place, assumes the need for them as replacements to breast feeding.

in _More Work for Mother_, Ruth Schwartz Cowan writes about how firms that made technologies for running the household surely did want to instruct the consumer in exactly how to use them and why. one has to wonder why firms would spend so much money on advertising literature if they could simply sell microwave ovens regardless as to how they were used, without going to great lengths to show people how those ovens were to be used and how they were supposed to improve their lives.

chitty chitty bang bang,

Kelley