[lbo-talk] Iraq-WMDs-Rumors

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 03:17:06 PDT 2003

I have always found Stratfor.com to be a bit odd - they almost never get Russia "right", but the following is interesting, if true.

Rumors are circulating that the United States has found evidence of WMD in Iraq and is holding back the information to sandbag its opponents and to extract maximum advantage of the big announcement. Now, these rumors could generated by the administration to buy time. The rumors could be generated by Democrats or the French and Russians to create a situation in which Washington will be embarrassed when nothing comes out. The rumors could be self-generating. The rumors could be true. The word (a couple of people who may or may not know) is that the announcement will be made Sept. 15 or so. We need to figure this out if we can. Reason: it could change some of the dynamics of the war in favor of the United States.