[lbo-talk] W: disaster = progress

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 18:07:01 PDT 2003

Doug wrote (quoting Reuters):

Terrorists are gathering in Iraq to undermine the advance of freedom. And the more progress we make in Iraq, the more desperate the terrorists will become," Bush said...

The super-heated rhetoric is priceless; straight from a comic book.

Actually, on second thought, it's not as sophisticated as many modern comics. More like one of those B movies Reagan featured in during the 1940s.

It does paint a vivid picture though: terrorists, gathered in their elusive caves, or sweatily plotting in smoke filled coffee houses where French, the language of un-American cowards, is spoken for some reason, gritting their teeth in barely restrained fury as freedom advances.

In a happier, alternate universe, Dubya, Wolfowitz, Rice, Rumsfeld and all the rest of the gang are not in government but staff writers for a weekly adventure serial titled "Freedom's March" about an amazing land of selfless virtue which saved the world from barbarism.

Back in our universe I wonder, do these people believe their own hype?

DRM