[lbo-talk] the webcam strategy for budget balance

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 27 07:34:10 PDT 2003

New York Post [Page Six] - August 27, 2003

PORN STAR OFFERS FISCAL FIX

PORN star and California gubernatorial candidate Mary Carey knows how to fix the state's colossal financial woes. "I'd have a Webcam in the governor's mansion and charge people $20 a month to see what I'm doing all the time," the "New Wave Hookers" star tells PAGE SIX's Ian Spiegelman. "People seem pretty liberal about nudity and they could see what their tax money is doing." Carey, who just turned 23, estimates that her Japanese fan base alone would bring in enough money to "balance the budget in two months." She's raising campaign funds by offering dates with supporters for $5,000 a pop, but she denies the claims of a Danish man who complained she was a dud. Carey says she's never even met him: "I wasn't even in L.A. last week. My grandmother - who's really my mother - died and I was at her funeral." So far, seven big spenders have ponied up the cash. "If you have millions and millions of dollars, what's $5,000 to go out with a pretty blonde? There's a lot of old guys with nothing else to do with all their money. George Bush charges $200 a plate to have dinner with him and I think I'm a little more exciting than he is. I have bigger boobs."