[lbo-talk] school uniforms

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Aug 27 10:36:46 PDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Brian Siano wrote:

> Who's blaming people for being 'weak-willed?' I'm pointing out that, if
> people conform, it's because they are agreeing to do so. I don't "blame"
> them for anything.

You're assigning individual responsibility to people for the existence of conformity. However, conformity is a social fact; it cannot be reduced to psychological terms like "agreeing". Despite what you argue, you cannot make any valid psychological imputations from the fact that a person conforms in a given social situation. There's about 50 years of research about this in social psychology and sociology. Read Milgram's work, for starters.

Miles