[lbo-talk] SEx in America (was: school uniforms)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 27 11:55:40 PDT 2003

> Might be a good zinger, but it's likely disconnected from reality.
The
> research I've seen suggests that Americans have more sex, and start
younger,
> than the citizens of almost all the other first world nations. Of
course,
> Americans might just be claiming to have more sex...
>
> -- Luke

The survey conducted by Michael et al. (_Sex in America: a definitive survey_) shows that on average American has about two or so sex partners in a life time. I am quoting from memory (my copy of the book grew legs and walked from my office) so I might be off a bit, but the number reported was shockingly low. The survey was conducted on a representative sample as opposed to convenience samples most other sex studies were conducted. The main finding of the survey that sex life in America was much more mundane and pedestrian than commonly thought. It did not surprise me at all - sexually hyperactive groups are a tiny minority; most people marry the guy/gal next door who is their only sex partner (especially for women).

Wojtek