[lbo-talk] Pollitt on Dean

boddhisatva boddhisatva at netzero.net
Wed Aug 27 12:39:20 PDT 2003

I saw Dean on Sunday and the campaign really is all about the supporters. The event was poorly stage-managed and Dean desperately needs speech writers but the crowd was unbelievably enthusiastic (especially for a Seattle crowd). Everybody hears Dean moving away from the left a bit ("moderating") and nobody cares. Right now the supporters are simply looking to Dean for core commitments, fire and spark. They want to take on two-issue Bush directly and credibly and came away even more sure that this is their guy. He's certainly the only Democrat I would consider voting for and possibly the only major-party candidate for whom I will cast a vote for any office.

The campaign itself is no juggernaut. They've got the anti-Bush supporters and the candidate. Other than that, the campaign needs a lot of help. I encourage any of you who have been involved with Democratic party politics in the past to make inquiries and see if you can help kick this campaign free of the quivering mass of clinging liberal and neo-liberal algae that is the Democratic party. You can't push the candidate to the left but perhaps you can make him smarter, faster, better than before.

peace,

boddi