[lbo-talk] Pollitt on Dean

Kendall Clark kendall at monkeyfist.com
Wed Aug 27 12:57:21 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:39:20PM -0700, boddhisatva wrote:

> and nobody cares. Right now the supporters are simply looking to Dean for
> core commitments, fire and spark. They want to take on two-issue Bush
> directly and credibly and came away even more sure that this is their guy.

For fire, spark, and core commitments, it seems hard to be Sharpton. And if the pro-Dean folks, especially the lefties, would get past being unable to see Sharpton as "credible" (a pernicious ideological construct if there ever were one!) he would *be* more credible.

Sharpton will never be seen by others as "credible" till "the democratic wing of the Democratic Party" seems him as "credible", which it will probably never do, to its shame, IMO.

For me, Sharpton easily bests both Kucinich & Dean in public speaking and debate; he's got a far more legitimate claim to consistently challenging Bush and the Right generally. He's got one obvious liability (Tawana Brawley case, which I think is consistently overhyped) which he bears some responsibility for and another obvious liability (he's not white) which he doesn't.

I'm a bit disappointed that folks haven't gotten behind Sharpton in the way they got behind Jackson back in the day. Is this because they think Dean can *actually beat* Bush? (I'm unconvinced that he can.)

Maybe I'm blinded by my reflexive admiration and respect for Sharpton?

Best, Kendall Clark -- Nobody said it was easy No one ever said it would be this hard Oh take me back to the start

-- Coldplay