[lbo-talk] Stomping Out the Reds/Go Blue

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Thu Aug 28 11:44:58 PDT 2003

No offense meant to the U-M left. And that's a big concession for me, but Red trumps Green. (Of course, that's not Wisconsin red. Or of course scarlet...)

But I still stand by my general assessment, only because it would be a big exception in US higher education if U-M wasn't more careful in its ideological controls than MSU. I wasn't arguing that MSU was somewhere on the Left--it wasn't. It's just that, in general, MSU is geared to reproducing a technical class, while U-M reproduces a professional-managerial class. Leftists (and, frankly, not a few eccentrics, drunks, etc.) could more easily slip into less-prestigious MSU because the ideological orientation of its "product" (graduates, research) is just less important.

Since they're both public universities, their funding is discussed publicly, and the solons of the Michigan legislature are often quite explicit about allocating funding along such "prestige" (class) lines.

Students figured this out, too. Personally, it was made clear to naive me during a hockey game in Ann Arbor some years back when, after MSU took a lead, the following chant rose up from the Blues:

That's all right! That's OK! You're gonna work for us some day!

(Harvard fans would chant this while *visiting* East Lansing. Cocky? Stupid? But I digress...)

Chomsky and Michael Albert have often noted this distinction between another technical/ideological pair, MIT and Harvard. Chomsky:

"By conventional measures, the Harvard faculty is much more liberal, in fact left-liberal. MIT faculty are very conservative often, even reactionary. I get along fine with MIT faculty, even when we disagree about everything (which is the usual case). If I show up at the Harvard faculty club, you can feel the chill settle; it's as if Satan entered the room." ("Disciplined Minds," Jeff Schmidt, Rowan and Littlefield, 2000, p. 14).

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:47:15 -0700 (PDT)