[lbo-talk] Fwd: [cultstud-l] Sokal & Bricmont or Lenin?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Aug 28 11:28:24 PDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:59:52 -0700 "Michael Simkin" <simkin_michael at hotmail.com> writes:
> --- Gregory Geboski <greg at mail.unionwebservices..com>
> wrote:
> > What strikes me more is that this Simkin fellow
> > apparently assumes (and assumes that his readers
> > will assume) that finding parallels with Lenin's
> > thought is prima facie evidence for dismissing Sokal
> > and Bricemont.
>
> Not really a prima face evidence - just a warning that they can lead
> us to Epistemological GULAG.

So what are you trying to tell us, that scientific realism leads inevitably to an empistemological gulag? After all there are lots of people including Sokal & Bricmont who are scientific realists but are not Marxist-Leninists. And there are even people like Antony Flew, who are politically far to the right, who have praised Lenin's *Materialism and Emirio-criticism* for its defense of scientific realism.

If it is your contention that scientific realism leads to an epistemological gulag, then that thesis is going to require some arguing if you expect us to accept it.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!