[lbo-talk] Baghdad: 35 Murders A Day

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Aug 29 14:33:17 PDT 2003

From: mike larkin

from: <http://www.juancole.com/>

"*About 35 Iraqis are murdered in Baghdad alone every day, most in gang-related violence, according to Rosalind Russell of Reuters. That is an annual murder rate of nearly 13,000, for this one city, population 5 million. The murder rate for the United States, a country of over 280 million, in 2000? 16,000! Nor is Iraq just a violent society; physicians at Baghdad hospitals say they have never seen anything like it! Baghdad was quite safe under Saddam as long as you weren't involved in dissident politics. ..-clip- ^^^^^^ CB: This seems to support the position of those of us who say it is the U.S.'s presence , not its absence or departure, that makes "chaos" ( uh oh, better call James Bond ) in Iraq.
> From what I know of Christian Parenti, I don't have anything against him;
and I don't think polls in general are bs, rather that they must be evaluated on a case by case basis. In this case , in evaluating , I would wonder in this concrete circumstance about how the Iraqis would trust any American, even if _we_ know the guy's "alright". Certainly , anybody who was thinking about taking up arms would not likely tell an American. But as someone else said here, most people, including probably most Iraqis, especially civilians, wouldn't be into going on what would be a likely suicide mission, given the Americans just demonstrated very convincingly who has the superior fire power. In other words, that claim of Parenti's is believable. But that doesn't seem proof that they don't in their hearts know the U.S. is the Fourth Reich for them.