[lbo-talk] Iraq: JP Morgan takes over U.N. role (no joke)

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Sat Aug 30 14:02:20 PDT 2003

The occupation government in Iraq has announced that the U.N. 'Oil For Food Programme' now been replaced by a bank consortium run by J.P. Morgan. The J.P. Morgan consortium (it will run the Iraq Trade Bank controlling all foreign transactions governmental and private). The initial capital will be $100 million of which $95 m. is Iraqi funds from previous oil sales transferred by the U.N and $5 is from the "Provisional Authority" (no indication whether the source was Iraqi or U.S. funds). No funds will be advanced by the private banks.

It is not clear what role the associated banks will play. No doubt selected on merit and the interests of the Iraqi people, the associated banks include financial powerhouse countries like Poland, Portugal, Spain, Australia, Italy, Turkey and Kuwait. Germany is not included; France has one Bank.