[lbo-talk] Baghdad: 35 Murders\The UN role

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Sat Aug 30 14:21:12 PDT 2003

Of course I can only speculate since it is a hypothetical. The existing GA Resolutions don't count: since they didn't matter the U.S. didn't put itself out to pressure a hundred or so small states. I don't doubt what their conscious tells them in a non-binding vote but question is what they do when the crunch comes.... Perhaps a better indicator is the equivicaton and worse that we saw from the small states in the SC. And I think you will find that most observers would expect the herd effect to be yet worse in the GA.

My main point is just that it has been a while since there was an active voting bloc from the Non-Aligned on this type of issue and we mustn't overestimate the strength of support from the 3rd world governmental elite these days.

Kudos to your knowledge of the GA resolutions.

Paul