[lbo-talk] *Materialism and Empirio-Criticism*

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Aug 31 11:03:33 PDT 2003

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Jim Farmelant wrote:

> Some of the various proposed realist interpretations
> of quantum mechanics such as Bohm's causal
> interpretation or Everett's Multiple Worlds Interpretation
> don't seem common-sensical at all.
>
> Jim F.

It seems to me that you guys are conflating the content of the idea (e.g., what a scientist theorizes) with the idea that the content corresponds to an external, objective reality. There is no necessary connection between doing science and being a "scientific realist" (Reichenbach). Yes, many scientific ideas are not common sense; however, the idea that scientific ideas correspond to reality is an elaboration of common sense.

Miles