[lbo-talk] state autonomy (was: Thanksgiving

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Dec 2 09:35:36 PST 2003

> Wojtek, are you aware of the history and trajectory of states' rights
> movements in the U.S.? Are you also aware that state legislatures
have been
> (and remain) even more susceptible to business lobbying than the
so-called
> "FEW?" If you doubt this, read Morton Horwitz, _The Transformation of
> American Law_. I think your idea is a recipe for disaster.

It would be unreasonable to expect that business influence would simply go away. In some states, that influence would probably increase, but in other it would decrease. The question thus is if the progressive gains in some states are worth the losses in other. My answer to that question is "yes." That gives the people a chance to vote with their feet, which under the current arrangement is rather difficult.

Stated differently, I have no doubt that a "state rights" movement would produce some crypto-fascist states rolling back the clock on almost everything. However, it would also produce some progressive states implementing new reforms that are currently out of the questions, such as national health care, decent labor legislation, and good public services. That would give an opportunity for those who care for such things to take advantage of them - a situation that currently is available to practically noone in this country.

Wojtek