[lbo-talk] state autonomy (was: Thanksgiving

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 09:57:10 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

> Stated differently, I have no doubt that a "state rights" movement would
> produce some crypto-fascist states rolling back the clock on almost
> everything. However, it would also produce some progressive states
> implementing new reforms that are currently out of the questions, such
> as national health care, decent labor legislation, and good public
> services. That would give an opportunity for those who care for such
> things to take advantage of them - a situation that currently is
> available to practically noone in this country.
>
> Wojtek

Woj., all you need to do is have a look at the political economy of the state of WA [filled to the brim with well meaning and smart lefties/liberals] to get a whiff of the neo-mercantilist, Court of King James I environments that have grown up around the state capitals to realize how difficult such a strategy would be. That Mussolini quote posted earlier may not be historically accurate, but when the terms are interpreted in the sense we mean them today it couldn't be more true.

Ian