[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 08:45:38 PST 2003

My impression is (only my impression; you could simply write Chomsky and ask) that Chomsky has attempted to do what you say and finds the arguments such as they are lacking in many ways. If you are suggesting that at times he finds them lacking because he doesnt understand the intellectual history of the arguments in social science so he doesnt see their novelty then I think that position extremely untenable.

The notion of a sympathetic hearing is what exactly? He read a fair number of works in some of the fields I think you mean and knew some of the people in question through direct exchange and was unconvinced on many levels. He doesnt have the obligation to write a full length immanent critique of everything out there, especially when some things are silly on their face, just as you dont see the need to refute flat earthers with immanent critiques. He answered the questions put to him but obviously thinks other things are worth more time and effort.

Dave